Does Insurance Pay for Mobility Scooters?

Mobility scooters provide individuals with mobility issues an effective means of maintaining independence and experiencing greater freedom of movement, but the costs can often become prohibitive. Luckily, insurance policies offer several solutions for paying for one.

Medicare Coverage:

One of the easiest and most accessible ways to finance a mobility scooter through insurance is via Medicare coverage. Medicare is a federal health insurance program that covers individuals aged 65 or over as well as those living with certain disabilities; Medicare Part B covers durable medical equipment (DME) such as mobility scooters when medically necessary by a physician.

In order to qualify for Medicare coverage of a mobility scooter, first obtain a face to face visit with your doctor stating you need the scooter in your home due to medical condition making movement difficult without assistance IN YOUR HOME.

  • The primary purpose of the doctor visit MUST BE FOR THE SCOOTER. No other reason is accepted by Medicare.
  • In the doctor notes from the visit, the doctor must state you cannot use a cane, walker, walker with wheels, standard manual wheelchair , ultra-light manual wheelchair for mobility in your home.
  • The notes need to describe how you will be using the scooter in your home with mobility related aids to daily living (MRADL’s). Such as doing the dishes, laundry, fixing meals and  moving about your home.
  • It needs to give a quantitative analysis of your muscle strength, 3 out of 5 , 2 out of 5. Cannot use words like weakness and at risk for falls.
  • The doctor’s notes need to state you can safely use the scooter inside your home.
  • It must state you can safely transfer to and from the scooter
  • You can sit upright in the seat and maintain postural stability

Once this document has been secured, contact a Medicare-approved supplier and purchase or rent one as needed.

Under Medicare Part B, you typically must cover 20% of the cost for your mobility scooter while Medicare will pay the remaining 80% – although you will first need to meet your Part B deductible before Medicare coverage kicks in.

Private Insurance Plans:

Many private insurance plans also provide mobility scooter coverage beyond Medicare coverage. Employer or individual policies may offer coverage, and depending on your policy may cover either all or some of its cost.

To ascertain whether your private insurance plan covers mobility scooters, contact your provider directly. They can inform you as to which types are covered as well as the percentage that will be covered in terms of cost coverage.

Self-Funding:

If your mobility scooter does not fall under insurance coverage or is underinsured, self-funding could be the right route. There are a few ways that self-funding could work for you: holding local fundraisers or using fundraising apps such as GoFundMe or Indiegogo may all work to get what’s necessary.

Take a closer look at financing plans offered by mobility scooter suppliers. Many offer financing plans that allow you to pay for your scooter over time with manageable monthly payments.

Conclusion:

Financing your mobility scooter through insurance can be an excellent way to lower its financial burden and make purchasing this essential piece more manageable and accessible. Medicare coverage or private policies offer ways for mobility scooters to become more cost-effective and accessible options available today.

This information is for educational purposes only. Contact your local DME dealer.

Jennifer Carmen
+ posts